Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering....

I just wanted to talk a little about 9/11. I know some don't want to talk about it and they want to move on and that completely fine...I see it's a way of closure but for me...I need and want to talk about it. So if you are one of those people...you probably want to just skip this post. =)

I CLEARLY remember that day....we were living in an apartment waiting for our house to be built, it was a nice, bright sunny day. We were planning on going shopping...just having a girl's day. Gracie was almost 5 months old and I was watching Today and all of a sudden on the TV flashed that a tower was hit by a plane. I immediately called Grady and told him what was going on and he told me to keep him posted. And then as I was watching...I saw another plane flying down to close in and I thought...OMG, that's not right. They closed the airspace down and then it hit the second tower and I knew....it was terrorist attack...I didn't need anyone to tell me that. And I remember this and will NEVER forget it...I was feeding Gracie and I looked down at her and knew that the world she would grow up in would be totally something different then anything I knew and wished for her. I just wanted to get my family and friends together and run away and hide.

All those people that lost family members, friends, mothers, fathers, sons and daughters....I was just so sad for them. And what got me was the kids at home that would be without a parent.....I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. Do you remember the photograph of all the abandon strollers in the park? I'm crying even thinking about it now, but they just ran for their lives with their kids.

I think what I don't get (and this is from me...someone that wants everyone to be happy) is why can't everyone just get along? I get that not everyone likes the US, they don't agree with the way we live, our policies and stuff, but Dear Lord, the children that were effected by this....they just didn't care. The most precious and innocent of all....it just didn't matter. They are monsters....that's what I tell myself...only monsters could do this with no feeling for human life.

There were and are so many heroes from that day including the firefighters, police, and others that ran into the buildings to help others....they had to know that there was a good chance they might not make it out alive, yet they still went on without questioning it. The passengers of Flight 93.....what they did was so courageous. The Pentagon employees.....just WOW!

I will close and this is my personal opinion.....we live in a different time now. The safety and will being of us, our families, friends and most importantly, our children is what matters to me. I'm willing to lose some rights and freedoms to keep America safe. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights were written in a time that terrorist probably wasn't even a word yet.

10 Comments:

Blogger The Trusty Blog said...

Well said.

-kimberli

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree -- well said.
it is hard to really even grasp it all....

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Brenda, its just so hard to understand how and why anyone could do something like that, everytime I think about the unbelievable loss of life it takes my breath away, such a sad sad tragedy. I wish everyone touched by the events of 9/11 peace today and everyday.
Leanne

1:48 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Amen.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good for us to remember how we felt that day and I think all of us have the same feelings as you do. Look on my blog at some pix my city does to remember those who died.

4:50 PM  
Blogger MelissaJ said...

Brenda....WOW..You have just the right words..
Melissa

8:12 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Exactly.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I agree that we live in a different age...but regarding your last statment that terrorists weren't around when the bill of rights was written...I beg to differ with you. The English were the worst terrorists in colonial american times! Just about every signer of the Declaration of Independence had his personal home burned! Terror existed then and now!

Just remember that thing about those that don't remember the history are doomed to repeat it. (sorry out of context quote) and please don't take this as a jab. Just something I feel strongly about.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Ren said...

Bren, I'm an Aussie so this doesn't effect me to the extent it does you... but I had tears rolling down my cheeks when I read your post.

I woke up in the morning and turned the TV on and saw what had happened. I couldn't believe it... kept waiting for something to come on the screen and say it wasn't true.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Thank you so much everyone! I think everyone has different feelings about that day and what it means to us so thinking for taking the time to read my post about what that day meant to me.

Mgoblue,
I do agree with you on some sense but terrorist back then is not the same thing as it is now. They did not target woman and children on purpose as they do now. They did not have the weapons technology as they do now.....we live in a different time with such major advances in bombs, guns and gas....back then, I don't think they could wipe out a whole country like it can be done now. Like I said....that is my personal opinion...I'm willing to give up rights to keep this country safe....to keep my friends and family safe.

Renee,
Thank you.....I had tears reading your post.

Michelle,
WOW....that had to be a tough day for you and your family. I know how I felt about that day...filled with so much emotion and I was 100's of miles away from it all....I can't began to image what you all had to go through with being so close to it all. JUST WOW!

Haylee....that's so awesome! I wish our city did something like that.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home