Thursday, July 26, 2007

flickr mixer photos

here's a couple more from the flickr mixer....we had a ball, the kids were cute and sooo funny! =)











OK...on to more questions. =)

From Stacey: So, here are my questions...raw or jpeg? And, what about wb? Do you fix it later or custom wb before and with what? Thanks!

Stacey, I've done both but I actually prefer jpeg. I like the sooc from jpeg over raw a tad better. But if I'm shooting in very difficult light, I'll shoot raw so I can adjust exposure. And I leave my white balance usually on auto. The only time I change it is if I need a bit more red in the photos.....like when I'm outside with tons of green around me, I then change it to sunny and it works great. I learned that from shooting in Gracie's green room. =) If I need to add or take away some color....I work in color balance or curves in PS. =)

From Tiffany: Can we see the whole scene of the swing? =)

Ha Tiffany.....my hubby came home and said to take a photo of the swing because you wanted to see it....I promise I will or he will. =) Thanks sweetie!

From Becky: My question is do you ever get any pictures of your girls together? Do your girls fight a lot.... is there jealousy? My girls are 5 and 2 1/2 and I have trouble with all of the above

Becky, although many people think that Sam was mine since I plastered pictures of her all over my blog, she's not...she's my niece. I use to watch her 4 days a week but I don't have her anymore which explains why you don't see her on here very much. =( I did get a couple of her and Gracie together but it was getting harder and harder because Sam could get up and exit the room. LOL!!

From Teresa: I do have a question.... do you have a certain way you enhance the eyes. Also have you taken any classes on light or are you self taught?

Teresa.....with Gracie having dark eyes, I really have to watch to see if I get light in her eyes. Now, I'm going to say this because I know there are so many out there that are sticklers for catchlights.....it really makes no difference to me. Of course I like getting light in them, but if I have a photo that I love and there's no light in the eyes....who cares. It's art, it's subjective and if you love it, that's all that matter. =) When people ask me how I learned it all, I tell them that you need to learn it all and then you can toss some of the tech stuff out the window. Photos don't have to be perfect all the time....do what you like to do and that's all that matters.

I don't do anything other than run Rad's Protouch action and lighten the eyes. I don't do it all the time but it's really awesome how it brings little specs of light out that you don't see. =)

I'm all self-taught....well, not self-taught because I learned tons from boards and other photogs, but I didn't take any classes if that's what you're shooting at. LOL!! Honestly, if you just practice with light you can get it....front lighting, rembrandt lighting, backlighting.....it all takes some practice and honestly, I'm still hit or miss on it but each time you do it, you learn what and what not to do. =)

OK....until tomorrow girls! Thanks!!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am laughing here and have to share. I am so pleased Sam is your neice. I have been feeling sorry for Sam lately... really sad for her. I read your profile and you only mentioned Grace as being your child.. i thought..gosh. you didnt update your profile after having Sam.. which didnt seem right? I wondered if Sam was a step child..poor lil Sam doesnt even feature as much. Laughing.. now I know why... Sam is a very very loved neice..not a slightly left out daughter.... haha

9:05 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Brenda I would love to know what this Action is that you spoke of in your last post. Rad's Protouch Action? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks for sharing your work! I love it!!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Corey~living and loving said...

I love the picture of the dirty hand. very cool!

12:55 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Gorgeous! Loved reading all your answers to the questions too.

I especially love photo #1...it rocks!

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful photos as always...
glad to see your posting all of your "answers"....very nice to know that you "do what's right for you"...sometimes there is no need to stress over shooting raw and using a custom white balance !! and you certainly have convinced me of that...your photos prove it!

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing all this info Brenda. I love your photo style and often check here as I learn how to use my camera. There is always a tidbit of info that I grasp when reading.
Thanks for your generosity.
maureen

9:50 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

My favorite is the dirt on the hand too. I love the detail. It is nice of you to share all this info with us.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! My favorite is the first one, but I love them all. Cute kids and I wanted to thank you too for sharing your wealth of information. Yours is one of my favorite blogs!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Teresa Reed Photography said...

Brenda, thanks for taking the time sharing your knowledge. Also I would look into the rad action. Thanks Teresa

Hey i did sign up for ILP. i will be soon posting! Thanks

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your talent is so amazing!! I love everything!!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Bren, this is an AWESOME post and love the pictures...not your action, if I am right, nicole's? Love it though, you know how to use other people's action for sure.

You should do this Q&A every 8 months, such a great help. Though every post I know, you always answer if we have a question. But I really love this one!!!! Thanks so much...hope the weather is great there now. ok, we're can we but the Rad's protouch action. Gosh, they should pay you for endorsing.

Take care.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering my question and all of the others, too! I think I'm drawn to your blog not just because of your awesome work, but because you come across as such a sweet, genuine person through your words! Thanks again!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda. What is Rad's Protouch action?

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you use any sort of noiseware?

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda,
As always, I check out your site for great inspiration...I love your style!
My question is about black and whites...seems I've been working on mine for about a year...I've been working with your b&w actions, which are great! But I still struggle to get the quality you get in your black and whites...creamy skin tones, real depth, jump off the page kinda black and whites. Any advice?
thanks!!!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures as always!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Lanne...believe me, you weren't the only one that thought that. When I was fist do my site, I had some girls read over it and they said "you forgot to mention Sam as your dd!" I can't image what was going through your head...I bet you thought I was mean! LOL!!

Cynthia...you hit the nail on the head. It's what works for you...not for everyone else, for you. =) Be different with your pp too...the reason clients come to you is because they are drawn to your work. =)

Awesome Teresa...you'll love it there. You need to start posting and commenting on other's photos too...so they will get to know you. =)

Tiffany...nope they are mine. =) With the color ones, I just played with each color in a selective color adjustment layer to deepen them. =)

Pam...I have used Noiseware but on rare occasions. If you have great exposure you can really bump up your ISO. The 20D handles ISO at 800 wonderfully. =) With the Rad Retouch action, you can really smooth out the skin too...it's great. =)

Thanks so much everyone....I hope I was able to help out some. =)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home