Wednesday, July 25, 2007

time for answers...

OK girls....I'm going to split these up over the couple of days so it's not one massive, long and boring post. =)

From Adrienne: "I have a question for you.... unsharp mask. Do you have 'settings' or do you play with it on each different picture? I just got a new computer and reinstalled photoshop, and lost the settings I had set for it, which i really liked. Now I can't figure it out again!! THX! :)...also..what was your inspiration to be a *natural light* photog?"

Adrienne, I play with the USM setting on each photo because sometimes SOOC they are sharp as a tack and other times, they are a bit soft. With full resolution photos I start with #'s of 100, 2, 3 and tweak from there. With web-size photos, I start with 50, .02, 0 and work from there. =) You'll be able to tell if you go to far by seeing halos and almost a double-vision look. =)

My inspiration for being a natural light photog was Amanda Keeys. LOVE her stuff. When I first saw her work, I knew what I wanted to do. Everything seems to come at ease for her and you can tell she just connects with little ones. =)

From Ellen: I'm curious what lenses you use. Thanks!

Ellen, I'm a prime junkie though I'm really eyeing the 24-70L lens. LOL!! My lens that I use are the Sigma 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. They work well for me because I've got a great portrait lens and a good wide lens and one in between. The f-stop number is what I look at first when buying a lens....because I work indoors, I've got to have a fast lens that works great in low-light conditions. =)

From Michelle: my question is what camera are you using and what is your favorite lens? thanks!

Michelle, I have a Canon 20d and honestly, I haven't taken the 50mm 1.8 off my camera in a while. I know some people hate that lens but for the money, it's awesome. =) I would probably have to say my fav lens out of all 3 of them is my 85mm. It's SWEEEET!! Plus it was my first lens I bought when I bought my camera so it's got some senimental value to me too. LOL!!

From Nancy: My question is how did you learn photoshop? Did you take a class or are you self-taught? Also, do you swtich lenses often or do you have one that seems to work best for your typical photo shoot?also, just a reminder that many of your fans are eagerly awaiting your actions in PSE 5.0-compatible form!

LOL Nancy, I know! If you guys haven't learned from me by now, I'm always behind! I need to take some time-management courses! LOL!! I did however learn today from a photog that my action does work in PSE5.0 up until the last stop and then it erases everything. So, it's just a matter of working it all out and stuff....I promise I will get them for you all though. =)

I learned basically on my own. I had PS 5.5 so I couldn't run any actions on it so I had to learn it all....well not it all but a workflow. It was a blessing and a curse at the same time....a blessing that I had to learn it, I had no choice and a curse because it was time-consuming to work on photos. LOL!! I do tell people not to be afraid of experimenting with PS, you CANNOT mess up your photo. =) Also, Scott Kelby has a wonderful book out that easy to understand and funny to boot. It gives you some wonderful starting points and then you can build from there. =)

With my lens, if I'm shooting family, I'll switch from my 30mm when shooting all of them together and then to my 50 or 85mm if I'm just shooting one or two of the kiddos. =) It can be such a pain in the rear to switch in the middle of a session but what I recommend is shooting the entire family first and then the kids and then candids. It will allow you to not have to switch lens in and out as much and the kiddos by the end they just want to play and they are pretty much tired of your camera. LOL!!

OK....oh and thanks Julie! What a small world! =)

I'm going to end this post and tomorrow I'll come back and answer a few more questions for ya. =) I'm leaving you guys with one of the sweetest pictures....I had the pleasure of meeting some fabulous photos on Monday. We got the kids together and had some fun. I'll put the links to their websites and blogs in tomorrow for you guys to check them out. These two were like 2 peas in a pod, they connected within minutes....plus they have the same name too. =)



7 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Thanks for all the answers, Bren. So I still have hope with learning PS, right? You know the story!!! thanks so much, Bren. Love the picture!!!!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Jeanelle said...

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions!

Oh - and I hope its ok, I put a link to your blog, on my blogpage.
I just visit your a lot, lately, so I wanted to make it easier on myself!!! :)

9:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

awww that is so sweet, I love it!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch! I learn a lot from you.

Thanks also for being such an inspiration. :)

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brenda .. good answers!!
GET THE 24-70L .. DO IT!!
LOL

2:30 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Oh, Tiffany from what I can tell you know what your doing...maybe you should have a q and a on your blog. =)

Jeanelle...thank you for linking me...it's no problem at all. =)

LOL Julie...do you want to email my dh for me? He says the photography money tree is dying as of now! LOL!!

Thanks so much everyone. =)

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home