Tuesday, July 31, 2007

last of the q and a's

Let's get down to it! LOL!!

From Karen: For action pictures, do you use the auto focus on one-shot, AI focus or AI servo? Or do you just focus manually?

Karen, I keep my camera in AI servo almost 90% percent of the time. Since I shot mostly kids, I have to be on my toes because they move around so much. I rarely shoot in one-shot AF and I need to try AI focus, since using AI servo, it works great for me, so I haven't switch over. LOL!!

From Rebecca: I am wondering what camera and lens you use, who your web host (template too?) is and also who you use for your prints. Also, I have Photoshop Elements and am wondering if/when you will have Actions for that in the future? Thanks a bunch for everything!

I promise soon Rebecca for the PSE actions. =) My camera is a Canon 20d and I have 3 prime lenses....30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8. My website template is from Winklet and I host through Go Daddy. =) I use a bunch of different labs for my prints, cards, canvases and all the other stuff between. Certain paper brands pick up or loose color, hence the reason I use a bunch of different companies. =)

From Megan: When shooting younger kids, how do you get them to not notice that you have a camera in your hand? My daughter is just over a year old, and the minute I get the camera out, no matter how sneaky I am, she crawls right up to me, and grabs for the camera.

LOL Megan...and Sam was just the opposite! She would take off or turn away from it. =) When I'm at a session, I don't shoot right away, I get down and play and talk with them first. I do have my camera out so it's not like they don't see it. If they seem interested in it, I let them touch and look at it (I'm holding it of course). If they are older, I let them take a couple pictures (again, I'm holding it) and let them see what they took. That usually works for me....they have such a short attention span, something usually grabs their attention 3 minutes later and they completely forgot about it. LOL!!

From Teresa: I wonder what kind of stuff (props, etc) brenda brings on a shoot.

I think almost every client as ask for me to bring the angel wings (which reminds me I need to get another pair). LOL!! I'll bring my pettiskirt and tutu if I've got little girls booked. That's it....I bring my reflector but usually forget to use it and I've brought fun blankets and baskets too but only to a couple. =)

From Marie: would you recommend(sp?) the sigma 30mm1.4? I already have the 50mm&85mm and i love them both but i need something wider.. and i'm not sure if i should go with this one or the canon 35mm or 28mm... ok so basically what i'm asking is if you can tell the pros and cons of it, etc. thanks =)

I LOVE that lens Marie.....I honestly can't think of a con for it. It did however get some getting use too because I used my 85 all the time. It's a wonderful lens and I got it just for the reason you mentioned. I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the ones you're looking at....it's just a matter of playing with it. You'll love it not only for families but for indoor shots like kids playing in their rooms and you want the full shot of the room. Also for those as I call "peep-hole" shots...like when you're standing above your subject and it looks like something you see when looking through a peep-hole. One thing it does as I'm sure all of the wide lenses do is if you're to close to your subject, it will give you a lens vingette. I actually like it but I know others don't. =)

From Kendra: My question is about black and whites...seems I've been working on mine for about a year...I've been working with your b&w actions, which are great! But I still struggle to get the quality you get in your black and whites...creamy skin tones, real depth, jump off the page kinda black and whites. Any advice?thanks!!!

Kendra, I think that if you shoot wide open, that may help you with what you want. If you close it, everthing will look like it's on the same focal plan but if you open up you aperture, you will almost have that 3-D look. =) I rarely go below 3.2.
With my action, there are so many things that you can do with it. I sometimes will add a curves adjustment layer and click on the blackeye dropper first and go to the box at the bottom (which indicates your shadows) and bring that line down a tad. I then will click on the white eyedropper (this indicates your highlights) and go to the top of the box and bring that up some. And last of all and I don't do this all the time, it just depends on what I'm looking for, I'll click on the gray eyedropper (your midtones) and either bring that up or down. Your goal is to creative a slight S-curve. This will give you some awesome contrast. =) Also, running a vingette is a great way to acheive what you're looking for and I will also burn and dodge areas too. =)

From Sarah Bear: For your process you said you burn a DVD then put all the good ones to a folder and batch them to be resized at 5x7 - then do your post processing. What happens then if a client wants larger images (which of your shots they probably wish they could have wallpaper)? I know I probably misunderstood something, but if you do all your work to a 5x7 then do you have to do it all again to the original that is at a higher resolution?

Sarah, nope, I don't have to redo it. In my info to my clients I have an example of cropping ratios so they know that if they go larger, it will not look like the 5x7 they are shown. And I save all my images as 300 dpi at 5x7. Now, if I get a large print and the crop looks off and I did have extra room in the original, I will go back and use that one....it really depends on the size. I know some people prefer to crop in 8x10 at 300 dpi but the 5x7 crop works great for me. =)

From Pure Expressions: How did you make it so that when you right click on an image on here, it wont allow it?? I LOVE that feature! And would like to apply that to my photos as well!

Well, the wonderful Tiffany told me about this and sent me the code...I hope she doesn't mind me sharing. Tiffany, let me know if you want me to take it off. =)

Opps, blogger isn't allowing me to post it because of the tags. If you just email me I'll send it to you. If you have a Typepad account, I'm not sure how you install it.....sorry. =(

That's it folks...thanks for the questions and hopefully I was able to help out some. =)

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are SO helpful. Thank you for taking out the time to post these. I am sure that was not easy by any means and I appreciate 'ya! :o)

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your answeres, you are so informative, it makes our journey easier

3:22 PM  
Blogger [Marie] said...

thanks for your answer =) i really enjoyed reading the Q&A !
Oh and i didnt notice the "no right click" thing. it's a nice way to protect photos.. but when i tryed it (i'm on fire fox) it let me right clik.. so i was curious and tryed on IE..and there it works fine. no right click allowed. just though i would let you know.

3:22 PM  
Blogger stace said...

Brenda,
Couldn't find your email address, but I would love to have the info on the right click thing. Please email me at info@staciashaw.com. Thanks so much!

3:28 PM  
Blogger stace said...

also, would you mind sharing where you get your angel wings? Thanks.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

You are so nice to give such great information...I REALLY appreciate it!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for all your answers! They are super helpful. Just wondering...how do you get your name and copyright info on your photos? Thanks...you do amazing work and inspire me constantly!

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I would also love the information on the right click image. Thanks so much! sienna52@hotmail.com

5:19 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Bren, this is another awesome post!!!! Share the codes, no problem with me. They can also search at 2peas bec. there is a thread there if it doesn't work the first time.

You still didn't bought your angel wings??!?!? goodness!!!! I should have bought you and send it to you! LOL!!!

Thanks so much for this one bren, can't wait to read it again.

TAke care.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Bren,

I emailed you the 2peas thread too just in case people who ask you for it will have problem installing it.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thank you for all your answers! That was a really good read!!! (Just to let you know, firefox users can still right click on your images, you just need to install the code specific for firefox.) Thank you again!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Jeanelle said...

You are so kind to answer all of these questions!
You rock!

11:42 PM  
Blogger The Sarah Bear said...

Thank you so much - not only for answering my question - but for even taking the time to do this at all - you are truly spectacular and now I know it is not only that you take good photos, have talent and skills, but also you are just simply kind. Thank you.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can get a No Right Click that includes Firefox at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm

Hope this helps.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Thanks for the head's up on the Firefox....and thanks for the link to get it fixed Brandon. =)

I put the link to the angel wings in my shopping goodies sidebar.....make sure you don't buy them all and save some for me. =)

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jaime said...

Hello...
Great Q and A. About the right click thingy....I can do it in MyIE2....not sure if you wanna check that one out as well.

12:06 PM  
Blogger heather said...

Okay, On my bloglines I saw you had posts up today about a quick sale on your actions... but when I come to your blog, I see no such posts...

Am I imagining things? Can I still get in on the sale? I've been eying your actions for some time!!

Please let me know if I can still get in on that "sale"
notes4heather@yahoo.com

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Brenda!!!!!! That was SOOOOOOOOO helpful. Not only are you a fantastic photographer, you are beyond nice!! Again, thank you for the daily inspiration and for answering ALL those questions!!!

9:09 AM  
Blogger eleni said...

HI,

I would love to know the code to keep people from right clicking on the photos on blogger. Thanks so much!

Eleni

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home